1. Prepare the pie crust. If using a homemade crust, pre-bake according to your recipe. If using store-bought crust, thaw the pie crust. You likely do not need to pre-bake it. Read the directions on the package.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, orange zest, eggs, cream, milk, and rum.
3. Pour the filling into the pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes, until the filling is just set in the middle. You will know this when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Set aside to cool completely.
5. Serve with homemade whipped cream.
Homemade whipped cream is a must for quality and taste. Read more about whipped cream here and how you can use leftovers for a Thanksgiving weekend brunch with crêpes.